Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Intriguing Video

Into Great Silence was the most intriguing film I watched while enjoying some downtime during the Christmas season. I've always been curious about monestaries and the lifestyle that surrounds them. Watching this film totally immerses you into the daily life in this simply beautiful setting and the daily life of the monks. One of the conditions of the creation of the film was that no additional voiceovers or background music would be added. I understand the request but I think it is also an artistic benefit allowing the viewer to be totally absorbed. Viewing this community that is totally committed to serving the Lord made me step back and look a little closer at my life. "Be still and know that I am God" (Psalm 46:10) is a piece of scripture that I am often drawn to....probably because it takes a lot of work for me to be still. Watching Into Great Silence affirms that I could work a little harder in 2009 on this 'skill'! If you haven't seen this film I recommend you find a venue, go in with an open mind, and enjoy the art.

No comments: