- I'm a sucker for exploring new media. This summer I found Pentel Arts Fabric Fun Pastel Dye sticks and a Jacquard Syringe. The first will let me color an image onto a piece of fabric before we turn it into a stole in the same way a pastel artist colors onto a piece of paper. The later will be filled with textile paint so we can write on fabric. Now I need to find the time to play and explore. Stay tuned!
- When exploring our latest project for Advent we saw circles in our mind. These circles translated into exploring two new fiber art techniques. You will see them crop up on items on the website this fall.
- I like a routine but this summer hasn't allowed for that as I've had quite a few days not in the studio. What I've learned from this is that I like really long days of work. And I have compensated for the days out by keeping long hours when I'm in. I have found I'm actually more creative this way! Who knew?
- The state of Wisconsin has really friendly people living in it. I ventured there for the first time several weeks ago because my son will be married there this fall. This really doesn't have anything to do with the studio but it is something I learned this summer!
- Lastly I've learned that God gives me the time that is needed to get done what is most important. My father has been battling cancer. I have been out of the studio a bit this summer spending time with him and my mom. This has been such a blessing to me personally. Being a small business owner I like to make sure that the business keeps happening. But, by and by I have had plenty of time with my parents and the stoles that have needed to get made have done so. Praise God.
Friday, August 14, 2015
Five Things I Learned This Summer
We're looking at the end of the summer season here at our studio in Michigan. I'm someone that likes to reflect. So here are the top five things I learned this summer: